CDF & the Service Chiefs have determined that there is no ‘material difference’ between the DECA & WRA outcomes and will not be seeking the Defence Force Remuneration Tribunal (DFRT) to review its determination in regards to the WRA.
DFWA disagrees with this no ‘material difference’ comparison of the DECA & WRA. DFWA believes:
• The current DECA & WRA determinations have occurred in ‘unique’ and’ extraordinary’ circumstances – not least because 62% of ADF members did not support the WRA case presented to the DFRT on their behalf by CDF!
• There are significant differences between the provisions of the DECA & WRA and thus the outcomes.
• These differences represent ‘material’ disadvantage to ADF members.
• These differences if applied to the WRA would generate ‘significant and material’ extra dollars to ADF members.
DFWA intends to seek a review of CDF & Service Chiefs position and failing any appropriate better outcome for ADF members to request the DFRT to reconvene the ADF WRA Case 9/2011.
A summary of the DFWA position is as follows:
• The ADF comparison demonstrates that ADF members on a Base Salary of $50000 p.a are in fact $434 worse off over the life of the WRA – CDF & the Service Chiefs have decided this disparity is ‘ not material’ – DFWA disagrees, every dollar is important to each ADF member, particularly those at the lower end of the Graded Pay Structure.
• The DECA provides for a 9% increase in Salary Related Allowances from the first day of commencement. The WRA provides for a 9% increase over three tranches 4% / 2.5% / 2.5%.
o The difference is $714 per $10000 of each Salary Related Allowance over life of WRA.
o Illustration – Service allowance = $800. Seagoing Allowance = $1600. Flying Allowance = $500. Special Forces Allowance = $2500
• The DECA provides for two lump-sum productivity bonuses of $1400 ($800 and $600) over life of WRA.
• The DECA provides for 14 months pay at the 6.5% increase rate – WRA provides for 12 months – about $175 to $350 over life of WRA
• The DECA provides for variations in APS allowances associated with ‘Knowledge Transfer / Performance Progression’ – between about $1000 to $2000 over three years – no direct ADF equivalent but where is the evidence of similar consideration in ADF allowances – particularly as ADF members ‘Transfer Knowledge & participate in Performance Appraisal’?
OPPORTUNITY TO EXPRESS SUPPORT:
THE REALITY IS THAT APPARENTLY NO-ONE OTHER THAN DFWA IS GOING TO ASK THE DFRT TO REVIEW THEIR DETERMINATION.
• THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU AND YOUR ADF COLLEAGUES TO EXPRESS SUPPORT FOR THE DFWA POSITION IN THIS DECA / WRA MATTER.
• EACH OF YOU COULD INFLUENCE OR ASK AT LEAST TWO OTHERS TO RESPOND.
• THE REALITY IS THAT THE MORE SUPPORT WE RECEIVE THE STRONGER CAN BE THE DFWA VOICE.
• IT WOULD BE VERY IMPRESSIVE IF WE RECEIVED ANOTHER 5000 EXPRESSIONS OF SUPPORT (NEVER MIND MEMBERSHIP)!!
THE BALL IS IN YOUR COURT!! IF YOU CAN’T BE BOTHERED – WHY SHOULD THE DFRT?
YOU CAN EXPRESS SUPPORT FOR THE DFWA POSITION BY:
• EMAILING TO email@example.com – SUBJECT: SUPPORT DFWA DECA / WRA POSITION
• JOINING DFWA BY FILLING THE APPLICATION FOR THE ‘VIRTUAL BRANCH’ AT www.dfwa.org.au
VP PAY & COS